Our work depends on the trust and generosity of our supporters, donors and volunteers. We want to be transparent about why we need the personal details we request when you support us and how we will use them.
- visitors to our websites
- people registering for a SASH event
- people making donations
- people signing up for our newsletter
- people enquiring about our work, or supporting or volunteering for SASH
- job applicants
Privacy notices for employees, hosts, service users and trustees are available on request.
This policy explains the following:
- what information SASH may collect about you;
- how SASH will use information we collect about you;
- when SASH may use your details to contact you;
- whether SASH will disclose your details to anyone else;
- How you can contact us regarding any information we might hold about you.
SASH is committed to safeguarding your personal information. Whenever you provide such information, we are legally obliged to use it in line with all laws concerning the protection of personal information, including the Data Protection Act 1998 and the GDPR.
Who we are
Safe and Sound Homes (trading as SASH) is a registered charity (charity number 1054890) and a company limited by guarantee (company number 3179309).
SASH’s registered address is 107-109 Walmgate, York YO1 9UA
SASH is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office under registration reference: Z956107X.
When we process your information:
We process your information when:
- you visit our website
- you register for a SASH event
- you make a donation
- you sign up for our newsletter
- you enquire about our work, or supporting or volunteering for SASH
- you apply for a job with SASH
What is our lawful basis for processing under the GDPR?
In all the cases listed above, our lawful basis for processing information is consent and legal obligation
What information SASH collects about you
When you contact SASH to make a donation or sign up to SASH activities or online content such as newsletters, or you telephone, email, write to or text SASH, or engage with SASH via social media channels, we may receive and retain personal information about you.
This can consist of information such as your name, email address, postal address, telephone or mobile number, and whether or not you are a tax payer so that we can claim Gift Aid.
We promise to respect any personal data you share with us and keep it safe. We aim to be clear when we collect your data and not do anything you wouldn’t reasonably expect.
What details we ask for and why
There are minimum levels of data we need to capture for different purposes – such as registering for an event, donating money or signing up to Gift Aid.
We need to be able to confirm any transactions you make on the SASH website by sending you an email, which is why this field is mandatory on all our web forms.
Sometimes on an event form we will ask your consent for us to contact you. This may include individual contact as well as our email newsletter which contains updates about our service provision, case studies of young people we have supported, events we have planned and fundraising news and updates. This will be in the form of an ‘opt-in’ tick box.
Where necessary (for example when you make an online donation or ask us to Gift Aid donations) we ask for your house number and postcode so that we hold a valid postal address for you. We need this information for the following reasons:
- To set up Direct Debits and one-off card payments
- To claim Gift Aid
- If you have requested to receive updates on our work by post.
Some events (eg our Sleepouts) will require a contact telephone number. Where this is the case, a specific reason is given on the form and your telephone number will be used for this purpose only.
Visitors to our website
When someone visits www.sash-uk.org.uk we use a third party service, Google Analytics, to collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns.
We do this to find out things such as the number of visitors to the various parts of the site. This information is only processed in a way which does not identify anyone.
How we will use the information we collect about you
SASH will use your personal information for a number of purposes including the following:
- When you make a donation we will wherever possible get in touch to thank you.
- in relation to any correspondence you have entered into with us whether by letter, email, text, social media, message board or any other means;
- for “service administration purposes”, which means that SASH may contact you for reasons related to donations you have made or the activity or online content you have signed up for;
- to provide you with information about our activities or online content, where you have agreed to receive it;
- to use IP addresses to identify the location of users or to block disruptive use;
- to analyse and improve the activities and content offered by the SASH website to provide you with relevant content and user-friendly navigation experience. We may also use and disclose information in aggregate (so that no individuals are identified) for marketing and development purposes.
- We may use profiling and screening techniques to make appropriate requests to supporters and help raise more funds.
- When building a profile we may research geographic, demographic and other information relating to you in order to better understand your interests and preferences in order to contact you with the most relevant communications. In doing this, we may use additional information from third party sources when it is available. Such information is compiled using publicly available data about you, for example addresses, listed Directorships or typical earnings in a given area. By submitting your details, you enable SASH to raise funds and to provide you with the services, information, activities or online content you select.
Third party processors that SASH uses
We use a third party provider, Mailchimp, to deliver our monthly e-newsletter. We gather statistics around email opening and clicks using industry standard technologies to help us monitor and improve our e-newsletter. If you sign up for our newsletter, you can unsubscribe at any time using the link provided.
For more information, please see http://mailchimp.com/legal/privacy/
We use a third party service, CAF Donate provided by CAFOnline, to securely process online and mobile donations to SASH. For more information on how CAF Online processes the data you provide, please see https://www.cafonline.org/navigation/footer/privacy
Will I be contacted for marketing purposes?
SASH will only contact you for marketing purposes by email or other electronic means if you have agreed to be contacted for these purposes.
Where you have provided your postal address, we may send you information about our work if you have given us your permission to do so.
You can ask us to stop contacting you at any time
You can do so by emailing us, calling 01904 652043 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) or writing to SASH, 107-109 Walmgate, York YO1 9UA with the details.
You can also opt out of our newsletter emails at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link provided.
SASH will not share your information with anyone else for marketing purposes
We will not, under any circumstances, share your data with anyone for marketing purposes, and you will not receive offers from other companies or organisations as a result of giving your details to us.
We will only use your information within SASH for the purposes for which it was obtained, unless you have explicitly agreed that we may share your information with another organisation. Sometimes SASH contracts third parties to process your information on our behalf. We require these third parties to comply strictly with our instructions and data protection laws.
We will keep your information confidential except where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example to government bodies for tax purposes or law enforcement agencies for the prevention and detection of crime, subject to such bodies providing us with a relevant request in writing).
How long will SASH keep my personal information?
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity, e.g. we will keep a record of donations for seven years.
If we don’t hear from you in two years from the initial correspondence we will stop communicating with you. Where possible, (if you have given us relevant contact details and permission) we will get in touch with you before the two years have finished to inform you that we are going to stop communication and to give you the option of continuing to hear from us.
If you request us not to send you marketing information we will keep a record of your contact details and appropriate information to enable us to comply with your request not to be contacted by us.
Access to personal information
Individuals can find out if we hold any personal information by making a ‘subject access request’ under the GDPR.
If we do hold information about you, we will provide it to you within one month of receipt of your request. We will:
- give you a description of the information we hold about you;
- tell you why we are holding it;
- tell you how long we will keep it for;
- tell you who it could be disclosed to; and
- let you have a copy of the information in an intelligible form.
You can make a Subject Access Request verbally or in writing at the address / telephone number below.
Please note: Before releasing any information, we may require you to prove your identity with two pieces of approved identification.
Cookies Policy – information SASH collects from your computer or mobile device
Cookies are small text files on your device. They are made by your web-browser when you visit a website. Every time you go back to that website, your browser will send the cookie file back to the website’s server. Cookies are useful because they allow a website to recognise a user’s device. You can find more information about cookies at: www.allaboutcookies.org and www.youronlinechoices.eu. For a video about cookies visit http://www.google.co.uk/goodtoknow/data-on-the-web/cookies
Cookies do lots of different jobs, like letting you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences, and generally improving the user experience.
Information supplied in cookies also allows us to measure the effectiveness of our website and awareness raising and fundraising campaigns. This enables us to ensure any money we spend supporting our fundraising gives us a good return on investment.
A list of the main cookies that we use can be found below:
|These cookies collect information about site visitors, including where they have come from and which pages they have visited, in an anonymous form. We use this information to improve the website.|
|_fbp||This cookie is used by Facebook to track visitors and provide adverts from third-party advertisers.|
|Civic Cookie Control||cookieconsent_status||This cookie is set when you dismiss the cookie notification that appears the first time you visit the site to prevent the message from being displayed again.|
|These cookies are set when you log in to the website and ensure that you remain logged in when between page loads.|
|These cookies are set when you log in to the website and store admin view settings, providing a consistent experience when admin pages are loaded and reloaded.|
|SASH website||sash_team_page_id||This cookie stores information about how you navigated between team pages and individual team pages, providing consistent navigation links between those pages. It is deleted when you close your browser or navigate away from a team page.|
When individuals apply to work at SASH, we will only use the information they supply to us to process their application and to monitor recruitment statistics. Where we want to disclose information to a third party, for example where we want to take up a reference or obtain a ‘disclosure’ from the Disclosure and Barring Service we will not do so without informing the applicant beforehand.
Personal information about unsuccessful candidates will be held for 12 months after the recruitment exercise has been completed, it will then be destroyed or deleted. We retain de-personalised statistical information about applicants to help inform our recruitment activities, but no individuals are identifiable from that data.
Privacy and confidentiality issues related to our volunteer hosts and our beneficiaries are detailed in the following SASH Policies, available on request.
- Data Protection,
- Records management
- Information governance
- Disclosure and Barring Service Checks
- Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults
We keep our privacy notice under regular review.
This privacy notice was last updated in May 2018
SASH, 107-109 Walmgate, York YO1 9UA | 01904 652043